CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, November 2, 2018

Marcy's Fitness Journey



On October 26, 2015, I made one of the smartest and most beneficial decisions. I walked into AMRAP and haven't looked back. The first time ever stepping foot into a gym and picking up a weight (a very light one) was during my freshman year of college. Yes, I was one of those who gained the “freshman 15” and therefore, needed to exercise. The need to workout quickly turned into a passion.

My passion for fitness continued to grow through college and beyond. Right after college, I worked at a small gym where I learned about different workout routines and nutrition. My 3-4 days/week workouts expanded to 5-6 days/week. Even being pregnant wasn’t going to stop me from working out. After having my first child in 2009, I quickly got back into the gym to lose the baby weight.  In addition, I worked with a nutritionist to help guide my eating. Resistance training combined with healthy, strict eating started to really transform my body, and get me back to where I was prior to pregnancy.

Being a working mom, I found it extremely challenging to get to the gym in the afternoon. This was when I realized the only way to workout without having life get in the way, was in the very early morning when no one was awake. This now became my new routine, which I enjoyed even more. Waking up at 4am was never a challenge even when child number two arrived in 2013. However, it was a challenge to regain my body after having two children, but I was more determined than ever.

I continued to wake up every morning at 4:00am and get my workout in. My exercise routine had always consisted of the typical weight training, running on the treadmill, and sometimes kickboxing classes. I also worked with another nutritionist to help keep me on track by giving me an eating plan and weekly weigh-ins After many years of doing basically the same thing, I got bored. Thankfully, this need for something new happened the same time AMRAP arrived at Vision.

For two months I would watch these crossfitters do their intense workouts, and I was intrigued. I heard of CrossFit, some of my friends did CrossFit, but I was hesitant to try something new. I was encouraged by my friends and husband to step out of my comfort zone and go for it. Joining AMRAP was truly a life-changing experience for me. Not only did my body change physically but mentally as well. Also, I gained more confidence and energy which has helped me be a better mother, wife, teacher, and overall, a better person.

It’s been three years since I committed to CrossFit, and I can’t imagine my day starting off any other way. I wake up at 3:45am excited to workout, see my friends, and get some good laughs. It’s an inspiring, supportive, encouraging group of people. You can’t find better workouts, coaches, or friends than the ones at AMRAP!

Marcy




No comments:

Post a Comment