CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, April 19, 2019

Trevor's Fitness Journey



Today's workout was a difficult one.  So was yesterday.  But they don't get easier, we just get stronger.  I like that quote.  It encapsulates the mindset needed to show up each day and push your body to it's maximum.

I thought I was strong three years ago before I started participating in training at AMRAP Fitness. Up until that point, I went to the gym 5 days a week and did the same routine week after week, year after year.  Physically strong, yes.  Mentally strong, no.  I paid no regard to the food and drink I consumed.  I didn't care about stretching and posture.  I was comfortable.  I didn't get uncomfortable until I began training with Ray.

I started training with Ray because the company I work for USIS began offering a corporate wellness program through Ray's training groups.  I went through the motions the first year.  I showed up once or twice a week, sometimes I took a week off.  I still ate the same foods.  I thought wheat bread was healthy so I went to Subway four days per week and ate a foot long sub on whole wheat bread.  Oops.

On January 1st, 2017 I woke up not feeling great from the night prior.  I went to class that week and noticed a posting for a 45-day challenge.  Something clicked.  This was a sign to challenge not only my body but my mind.  

I didn't eat bread, sugar, or drink alcohol for 45 days.  I was physically and mentally the strongest I had been in my life.  I became a better husband, father, son, and employee.  I wasn't reverting back to my old habits.

For the last 28 months, I've prepared the same four meals for my work week every Sunday.  I eat only for nutrition and not for the taste. The broccoli gets a little messy by Friday and I need to thank my coworkers for putting up with the smell.  I stopped drinking for a year and a half and now will only have a drink when I"m on vacation.

I train with Ray four days per week now and I put in what I want to get out. I want to be the best possible version of myself outside of the gym.  AMRAP Fitness, Ray, and USIS have provided me with that opportunity.  I am forever indebted to them and the AMRAP community.

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment