CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, January 4, 2019

Amanda's Fitness Journey

Amanda’s Fitness Journey 



When Ray asked me to write about my fitness journey, I did not truly realize how much fitness has always been a part of my life. 

I am a military brat to be more specific a “Marine Corps brat”as my father affectionately would say. I was raised and immersed in the military environment from birth. My real journey began when I was 6 years old when I was rescued from a riptide on the Gulf of Mexico. I had a team of young Marine Lieutenants chain there arms into the ocean till they could reach me and pull me to shore. After my mom stopped hugging me and was thankful I was alive she said, “Amanda you are learning to swim tomorrow!” Swimming became my passion. It calmed me when I was anxious, gave me confidence and strength which I needed since my family moved at least every two years and my father was absent most of the time. 

My fitness journey continued when my family was stationed in Seoul, Korea. My mom was still on a mission to make me a better swimmer so she contacted a Navy Seal for private swimming lessons. 

The lessons were brutal and I am sure I drank at least 3 gallons of pool water! At the time, I didn’t realize the training would later prepare me to become a lifeguard at Camp Lejeune for the Marine Corps. 

My fitness journey continued through college, but when I moved NYC running became my go to exercise. All you need is a good pair of running sneakers and out the the door you go! I ran my half marathons, NYC marathons, and broke my foot a couple of times along the way, enjoyed Central Park and all its sights! The experience awesome! 


My work took me to New Jersey and so I began running through the beautiful Palisades Cliffs trails. It was enjoyable, but I needed something more...so when I joined Vision I kept seeing people coming from the back of the gym looking great, exhausted, and chatting about the workout. That’s when I knew I needed to be a part of the AMRAP experience! When I met Ray he was pleasant and encouraging and said, “come try it!” Well, I thought I was fit...hah! I found out about muscles that I didn’t even know existed, I was sore in places I didn’t even know existed, the muscles in my fingers were even sore! And as Coach Ray would say as he squints his eyes at you, “I am exposing you to your weaknesses!” Or, Ray might give you the side glance when you ask, “Really, you want me to add more weight!?” 

At 55 plus, I have now stepped into an entirely new level of my fitness journey with Coach Ray and Nataliya, and the wonderful friends I workout with almost everyday. We cheer each other on to work harder. Shout out to Sierra “push”! We moan, groan, complain, and yes we cry, but we know it will be worth it when we are done and leave with no regrets!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment