CrossFit South Rockland

Sunday, June 12, 2011

CrossFit Chronicles: Is it time to consider a special diet?


Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:01 am | Updated: 11:59 am, Thu Apr 21, 2011.
I've never been one to buy into a specific "name" diet plan. They all seem like fads to me -- not to mention a big hassle -- and while I've always tried to watch what I put in my mouth and get proper nutrition, I didn't want some program telling me what to eat every day. I wanted to keep my options open, and not have to think too much about what was or wasn't on the plan.
Staying in control was going to be a problem for me, whether I was "on a diet" or not. And I'm not going to lie, there are times I enjoy losing control. Don't we all have those moments?
Two things have changed my perspective on diets: A certain digestive affliction I've somehow developed, and CrossFit, the kick-ass workout program I've been doing three times a week for the past seven months.
Other, more serious CrossFitters have told me how either the Zone or Paleo diets have helped them improve their performance in the various CrossFit skills. I could definitely stand to improve in all those skills.
An efficiently functioning digestive system will help me perform better in everyday life, and right now, that's just as high a priority as getting faster, stronger and leaner.
The Zone and Paleo diets seem like they would help me achieve both goals.
The way I understand it, the Zone diet is about maintaining a certain ratio between carbs, protein and fat (40:30:30) and it emphasizes portion sizes and all things in moderation. So, you have to measure your food. Paleo is about eating only the foods our Caveman/hunter-gatherer ancestors ate, which leaves out all foods that are the result of agriculture and industrial processing. You have to give up grains and dairy and, of course, sugar.
I think my trainer does a mixture of both, and his simple advice to me was not to eat anything out of a box. So long, Wheat Thins!
Lordy, those things are like crack to me...
Which is funny, because after I complained to him about my stagnant fitness level (and embarrassing health issue), one of my health and wellness mentors sent me an article from the CrossFit Journal, called "Getting Off The Crack." He sent it to me over a year ago. I just got around to reading it. It's about one woman's struggle, and eventual success, with the Zone diet.
I didn't need to read it to know that if I'm truly serious about improving my digestion and CrossFit skills, be it with the Zone or Paleo or status quo, Imust lay off the beer. That's one of the major reasons I eschewed diet plans for all these years, but probably one of the major reasons I haven't reached my athletic potential. Beer is one of those grain-based agricultural products the Paleos don't do.
My trainer's other advice, besides the no-box thing, was to drink straight Tequila. Because it comes from a plant you find in the wild. So I guess the only question left to answer is, do I want to party like a Caveman?

No comments:

Post a Comment