CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, November 9, 2018

Gregg's Fitness Journey


I've been a member of pretty much every chain gym in the tristate area, always with the same pattern.  I join, work out intensely for a couple days, get really sore, take a break, lose interest, and eventually pay the “fat tax” (membership fees while not actually going) before cancelling my membership.

I had no routine.  Sometimes I'd get into running until I got bored.   Or I'd find a weightlifting program app on my phone and try it for a while until I hurt myself trying to squat or deadlift with no clue what I was doing.  Mostly I'd meander around the weight machines looking for an unoccupied one while trying to avoid eye contact and seeming confident enough that nobody would approach me to ask if I needed help.

Growing up, I was into tennis and skiing.  After high school, I became less active, ate excessive amounts of food (not a whole Pizzarito in a single meal excessive, but excessive in a more consistent way), gained weight, and was unhealthy. 

Fast-forward to almost five years ago.  My wife (Marcy) and I took up running.  I ran a half marathon, took a running break, and never got back into it.  Marcy wanted to add a weight lifting program to her exercise routine and found Ray’s AMRAP Fitness program (actually, I found it for her... major husband points for me).  After a couple weeks, I could tell she had found something she loved, because every day I'd hear “and today’s workout was crazy, we had to do 5 rounds of (word I didn’t know), followed by (word I didn’t know), followed by (word I didn’t know).”  I'd smile dutifully, but my inner monologue was saying, “Be quiet, I don’t know what you’re talking about, let me get back to my DVR’d episode of The Vampire Diaries and my bowl of ice cream!!!!” (This is the first time Marcy is hearing about my inner monologue, so it might not go over well).  

However, I was putting on weight, getting stressed at work, and wasn’t feeling great about myself.  Marcy kept pushing me to try AMRAP Fitness. I finally, anxiously, gave it a try. When I arrived, Ray said we were going to do “dumbbell snatches," and I had no idea what that meant.  But Ray was patient, encouraging, clear in his instructions and motivating.  By the end of class, I was exhausted.  However, I had an amazing time, and where I used to struggle to motivate myself to go to the gym, for the first time I felt excited to workout.  

Now, when I get to class before work, I feel like I did at least one good thing for myself that day.  Everyone has stresses, but the 20 minutes that Ray has you doing as many pushups, pull ups and squats as you can are 20 minutes that you forget those stresses.


Some things that keep me coming back to AMRAP:
  • The incredible coaching team, led by Coach Ray, and knowing that Ray is watching, instructing, pushing me to do more than I think I’m capable of doing. 
  • The group atmosphere. The amazing athletes in the AMRAP family constantly encourage me.  Everyone makes new members feel welcome right away. 

  • The fact that I don’t need to think.  I don’t have to come to the gym and put together a workout for myself.  Ray develops a constantly varied program where my only job is to show up and do what he tells me to do until I can’t do it anymore…and then do it some more.
  • The competitive (sort of) factor. I have no expectation of being on top of any leaderboard, but in Ray’s class I’m going to accomplish more and work harder than if I were working out alone.  That said, no one cares where you place on the board, as long as you try your hardest.
  • Healthier eating.  Ray’s class includes nutrition advice and food challenges that get me back on track when I fall off the rails and get into bad eating habits.
  • Improved fitness level: I’m back to playing tennis and performing better, with more endurance, than in my 20s.

Joining AMRAP Fitness has been the best decision that I could have made for my health, fitness and family.  Working out with Ray has become something that my wife, my two boys and I do together as a family.  

You may not think CrossFit is for you or even understand what it is.  You may think you'll feel out of place, or like you’re too old for CrossFit, or that you need to get into better shape before starting CrossFit (all things I thought), but don’t put it off.  Why have I stayed motivated?  I think it’s because Ray makes his class more than a workout.  

When I play tennis, it's not to lose weight.  I play because I love it, and I’m healthier because I do it.  Ray has made working out the same for me.  Sure, it’s great that the more I go the healthier I am, but what gets me to class is that I just enjoy doing it.


Gregg Benson 

No comments:

Post a Comment