CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, February 15, 2019

Ann Marie's Fitness Journey



Growing up with two older brothers, I was interested in playing sports at an early age. I didn’t want to sit on the sidelines and watch. I wanted to play. When I was 6, I remember my mom telling me I’d b the only girl on the soccer team. I didn’t care. Soccer lead to basketball, softball, and even cheerleading.

I always lead an active life, from playing sports, coaching, lifeguarding and being a swim instructor. During college, my interests moved away from team sports and more into fitness. Joining numerous gyms and attending a variety of classes. I did anything and everything to keep myself from gaining weight. I started running, which I didn’t love, but it kept me feeling “thin.” It was all about the cardio. At this stage of my life, all I cared about was looking thin. It wasn’t easy. I like to eat! I had unlimited amounts of time and would spend hours in the gym, which wasn’t realistic.

Once life began to get in the way of the gym, it became harder for me to maintain my weight. In 2010, I got married and having a family was a huge desire for both my husband and I. For the next 7 years, I was either trying to get pregnant, pregnant, or nursing. I always imagined myself being one of those moms who worked out while pregnant and bounced right back after giving birth. 

Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case. My pregnancies were high risk and working out was not an option. After giving birth, finding the time to work out was challenging. What was even harder was finding the energy. The one activity that was doable was running because I could throw the kids in the jogging stroller. When my youngest was a little over one, I slowly started to get back to the gym. I was taking classes but wasn’t getting the results I was looking for. I was going, but didn’t really want to go. It was just something I had​ to do. I couldn’t get into a routine. I tried personal training, which was great, but still not consistent enough.
And then.......there was 
AMRAP Fitness.

I originally inquired about AMRAP fitness (CrossFit) for my husband. It wasn’t until he began researching it that he encouraged me to give it a try. He seemed to think it was exactly what I was looking for. For me, I was intimidated. It was out of my comfort zone. I didn’t want to get big and muscular. And then I tried it. 

From the first day of my trial, I was hooked. The knowledge and experience Coach Ray has is immeasurable. His approach is like no other. He knows what you’re capable of and pushes you beyond beyond your potential. Everyone there is so encouraging and supportive. I want to go to class everyday. Even at 5 am! On the one day a week I take off, I miss being there. I actually miss working out. I love the variety of the daily WOD’s, the strength training piece, the max effort and especially the PR’s. I never thought I would enjoy lifting weights so much. Oh, and I can’t forget the people. I’ve made some wonderful friends.

Another piece of the AMRAP Fitness puzzle is nutrition. This was the piece I had been missing on my own. Coach Ray has taught me so much about what my body needs to function. I am on my fourth 45 day challenge and I have found much success.

I started my AMRAP journey exactly 11 months ago. And in only 11 months, I am probably in the best shape of my life at 44. I am fit, I am strong, I am healthy, and I love training with Coach Ray. I can’t thank him enough for not only changing my life but for inspiring all the Stouts. Not long after I joined, my husband Rob started Strength Training, and now my boys are loving Crossfit Kids.


Ann Marie


No comments:

Post a Comment