This time of year, it seems like we are bombarded by events. Holiday parties, work lunches, happy hours, and family get-togethers. The opportunities to eat and drink are endless. However, if your goal is to stay focused and on track this holiday season, there are many ways to do that without feeling like you are missing out.
With a few simple adjustments, you can maintain your consistency and still feel like you are taking part in the festivities. Here are some of our favorite tips for holiday events:
1. Eat a snack before the event. Making sure that you are not hungry when you arrive at the event is a great way to keep from binging.
2. Bring a healthy dish. If it is a potluck style event, bring a healthy dish everyone can enjoy, especially you. Now, you can eat AND encourage others to eat healthy as well.
3. Alternate your cocktails with water. If you plan to drink, focus on non-sugary drinks and alternate each drink with 8oz of water. This will keep you hydrated and help you decrease the empty calories from alcohol.
4. Eat balanced around the event. If you know you are going to an event that you may eat or drink more than usual, do not assume the "day is lost." One treat meal is different than an entire cheat day. Stay on track throughout the day.
5. Don't stress. The holidays are about having fun with family and friends. If you eat that extra cookie or have a glass of wine, do not stress it. The negative reaction your body has to stress can be worst than what you consumed. Get back on track the next day and enjoy yourself!