CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, August 2, 2019

Gina's Fitness Journey



I started my AMRAP Fitness journey almost 4 years ago when it was first offered to USIS employees as part of a Wellness Program in October of 2015. At first, I was hesitant to join, I knew nothing about the CrossFit training style and wasn’t sure what to expect. The idea of lifting weights, using the battle ropes and doing lots of cardio seemed challenging, but I was up for a challenge! Plus I thought it was a great idea to get away from my desk for my lunch hour and partake in a program with my coworkers where we could exercise together, encourage and empower each other, and set goals we wanted to achieve together.

Growing up, I was a pretty active person. I played on two soccer teams, my town recreational team and the traveling soccer club, Arsenal, and once I got to high school I played on my school team. When I was not playing soccer, you could find me in the gym exercising, taking a kickboxing class, or hiking in the trails at the Ramapo Valley County Reservation in Mahwah, NJ. As I grew up, I found myself starting to slow down a little more due to life events, but I always pushed myself to stay healthy and active because overall, I only have one body and I need to take care of my body for the rest of my life. I am getting married next year in November of 2020 and I am continuing to exercise on a regular basis and watching my intake on food. It’s not easy, but I want to look good in my wedding dress!

What I like the most about AMRAP is that every class is different. An exercise we did in yesterday’s class is going to be different in today’s class. Coach Ray pushes us both physically and mentally, but in a positive way. He motivates us to add more weight onto the bar or run the extra mile. If we happen to be doing something incorrectly, Coach Ray will be right there next to us helping us correct our mistakes. He explains the proper way to do the movements and emphasizes on having good posture. He is patient with us every step of the way on improving our overall wellbeing.

Coach Ray doesn't stop at fitness, he also offers a 45 Day Nutrition Challenge. This challenges the individual to eat healthier food options to help influence a healthier lifestyle. I’ve partaken in the challenge before and have seen a difference in my body after eating healthier foods and working out. Overall, I felt better about myself, both physically and mentally, and still to this day try to push myself to make better choices, to eat less junk food and eat more protein and vegetables.

I would like to thank USIS, Vision Sports Club, AMRAP and Coach Ray for giving me this opportunity to change my life for the better!

Thanks again, and remember…GET IT!


~Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment