CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, April 26, 2019

Diane's Fitness Journey

ser·en·dip·i·ty
/ˌserənˈdipədē/
noun
  1. the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.


I’ll call it “serendipity.”  I would never have sought out the AMRAP program if my company hadn’t offered it up as part of the company “wellness program.”  Just as I’ll never take up horseback riding unless someone plops a horse in front of me.  But life continues to surprise me, day after day…
Backtracking a bit- I did not grow up as an athlete.  My idea of athletics was chasing after my three brothers (and baby sister,) sprinting the neighborhood in bare feet, and playing pickup basketball wherever we could. My identity as an athlete shattered when I didn’t make the middle school basketball team.  Left turn out of sports and right turn into the world of music and theater.  In college, the theater program had us dancing every day of the week, starting at 8 a.m. every morning.  It was rigorous and disciplined, and I just loved it. Post-college, I continued to take dance classes, and also took up running. 
Years passed, and four babies later, I continued to run and take the occasional dance class.  The goal was to keep moving, keep sane and watch my weight, -but it was all contingent on grabbing precious hours. 
Fast forward to the present time.  I’ve been with this company for 5 ½ years now.  In October 2015 Ray came on board here at the gym and I was asked to help get a group of employees together to start a company group for the AMRAP Fitness wellness program.  We would train twice a week with the goal of creating some bonding between us as coworkers.  I loved it from the start.  It was challenging so many aspects of my fitness list- strength, cardio, gymnastic elements, etc.  It also challenged me to focus.  What is the workout? How many reps am I on?  How is my form? And mantras of positivity: I can run faster, I can do this one more time, and I will not lose my teeth on this box jump. I am lifting weights and doing pull-ups, for God’s sake…Over the last 3 ½ years my attitude toward my fitness has evolved from something haphazard to a more focused, integral part of my life.
And lest I forget- there are people who make all the difference in a program.  Ray has been a wonderful mentor and role model.  He is prepared, consistent, mindful, and holds us all to a high standard.  I am endlessly grateful that I tripped and fell into Ray’s program.  Which was one of the best decisions I have ever made!

Serendipity….

No comments:

Post a Comment