CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, April 12, 2019

Matt's Fitness Journey



My “fitness journey” began unknowingly at the age of 5 when I joined my first baseball team. At the time my sole reason for joining the team was because my brothers did it and if they did it I wanted to do it too. Over time I grew to love the team, vibe, and competitive nature of sports, so I added soccer and basketball to the annual rotation. 

By the time I entered high school I was playing lacrosse which is when fitness was truly introduced to me. For the first time in my life, I had a coach that had a diverse background in fitness and nutrition and made sure that everyone on the team followed his regiments to the letter. As my diet improved and my time in the weight room increased, I watched my performance skyrocket.

Following high school, fitness and nutrition remained paramount in my life, however, it became harder to have the same drive and motivation to push my limits and achieve the results I desired. Every time I walked into the gym my goal was to always get in a “solid” workout, but more than half the time I couldn’t get into a good flow and before I knew it my hour was up and I was on my way. 

One day while leaving the gym after another "subpar" workout I picked up a flyer for a free 3-day pass for AMRAP Fitness. I didn’t know much about AMRAP Fitness or it's workouts, but I figured “why not it's free.” As soon as I walked in Coach Ray made me feel welcome and introduced me to the other members. Originally, I figured everyone who did CrossFit was a freak athlete, so I was surprised to see the class was a very mixed group of men and women ranging from teenager to over 60 years old. As the class began Ray lead everyone into a 10-minute warmup followed by an exact breakdown on how to execute the movements of the upcoming workout to avoid any confusion or injury. Following that he made sure that everyone’s individual workout was scaled to meet their current ability. It rare to see someone with Ray's passion for what they do in life and it really reflects in the preparation and execution of every class. 

Fast Forward nine months I’m an AMRAP Fitness regular and cannot imagine working out any other way.  The team environment and diversity of the workouts is exactly what I've been looking for in my daily workout regimen and I couldn’t be happier with the results. 

Since I've started I've gotten bigger, stronger, faster, more flexible and overall better rounded than I've ever been (my sleeping has also been better.) I would recommend AMRAP Fitness to anyone looking to improve fitness wise regardless if you go to the gym 5 times a week or never stepped foot one. 

Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment