CrossFit South Rockland

Friday, March 8, 2019

Bryanne's Fitness Journey



Sports and physical activity have been a staple in my life since early childhood.  Before I was old enough to participate myself, I would be at my dad's softball and baseball games waiting until it was over for my turn to run the bases or chase down balls.  My siblings and I were always busy either playing on some team or just outside with the neighborhood kids.  I ended up finding my niche playing basketball, volleyball and running track, I loved high school and that was the reason why.  

I decided to not play competitive sports in college and that certainly left a hole.  I tried out every intramural sport, most random was inner tube water polo.  I enjoyed the social aspect but missed the competitive nature of athletes taking their sport seriously. 

Early in my college experience I lost my Dad.  I always knew I loved sports and being part of a team but it wasn't until then that I realized how crucial exercise and community would be in my life.  Running and working out became my coping mechanism.  Rain or shine, I needed to just get out and go.  Over the years, every stressful point in my life was exponentially more manageable if I was able to run.

Fast forward to present day, those therapeutic runs became way less helpful as I added a double jogging stroller and two nervous dogs to the mix.  I needed something more, something for me.  

It was one year ago that my husband found AMRAP online and strongly encouraged me to give it a try.  I went in at 5am with the goal of going to class 2 times a week.  It took no time at all for me to re-calibrate.  I found the piece of my life that had been missing since I was in high school.  Everyone I was getting the opportunity to work out with took their health and fitness seriously and wanted to push themselves and each other to be better.  I feel like I am part of a team again.

My family has also benefited greatly. Even though I am home and showered before my daughters wake up, they still know I go and beg to come with me on the weekends.  My older daughter has been my source of motivation when I have been too tired to do anything recently, she always pushes to get us to the gym.  I feel a sense of pride every day when she calls her dad to say goodnight and in one breath asks him "So how was  your day?  What did you do for exercise".  She's getting it.

I cannot thank Coach Ray and the rest of this community enough for the powerful impact everyone has had on mine and my family's lives.  It has been a life changing year and I am excited to keep getting stronger and healthier while also instilling those values in my children.  This is a truly great community and I am honored to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment